ĀGRĀ (27º-10'N, 78º-0'E), became the seat of a Sikh saṅgat following a visit by Gurū Nānak during the first of his four long preaching journeys. Later, Gurū Rām Dās, in his early career as Bhāī Jeṭhā, was in Āgrā when he attended Akbar's court on behalf of Gurū Amar Dās, Nānak III. Gurū Tegh Bahādur, Nānak IX, passed through the city on his way to the eastern parts in 1665-66. Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, the last of the Gurūs, also visited Āgrā when he met Emperor Bahādur Shāh in 1707-08.
GURDWĀRĀ MĀĪ THĀN, marking Gurū Tegh Bahādur's second visit to Āgrā, is the only historical Sikh shrine in the city. It is said that Māī Jassī, an old lady who was a devout follower of the Sikh faith, had got a length of linen prepared from yarn spun with her own hands and had ever longed for an opportunity to present it to the Gurū in her own home. Gurū Tegh Bahādur did visit Māī Jassī's house in the heart of Āgrā and received the offering. He was pleased with her devotion and, as a parting boon, pronounced the blessing that her name would live forever. Māī Jassī's house is now a gurdwārā. It is known by the name of Māī Thān. By this name is also known the mahallā in which it is situated.
Gurdwārā Māī Thān, in a narrow lane, has a spacious square dīvān hall, with the Gurū Granth Sāhib seated in the centre on a canopied throne of white marble. In a room above the entrance gate, a museum has been established with pictures depicting scenes from Sikh history, especially martyrdoms. The Gurdwārā, registered as the Srī Gurū Siṅgh Sabhā, is managed by Srī Gurū Tegh Bahādur Central Board, Āgrā.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)