ALLĀHĀBĀD (25º-28'N, 81º-50'E), Prayāg before the reign of Emperor Akbar, was visited by Gurū Nānak in the course of his first preaching journey to the east in the first quarter of the sixteenth century. In 1666, Gurū Tegh Bahādur visited the town and stayed in the house of a devotee in Mohallā Aihīyāpur. Gurdwārā Tap Asthān (Pakkī Saṅgat) Srī Gurū Tegh Bahādur Jī Pātshāhī 9 marks the place where Gurū Tegh Bahādur had put up. It became a centre for the congregation of Sikh devotees and was called Pakkī Saṅgat (Permanent Congregation). Later it came to be served by Nirmalā priests who still administer it. Mahant Prītam Siṅgh (d. 1972) rebuilt the shrine in 1965. A domed two-storeyed gateway leads to the dīvān hall where the Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated in a marble pālakī. One of the side rooms has a large portrait of Gurū Tegh Bahādur placed on a square platform. This is meant to mark the apartment used by the Gurū as a bedroom at the time of his visit.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)