ANANTNĀG (33º-44'N, 75º-13'E), a district town on the southern edge of the Kashmīr valley, is named after a nearby spring which is regarded as sacred by the Hindus. The town claims a historical Sikh shrine commemorating the visit of Gurū Nānak (1469-1539), who passed through here on his way to Maṭṭan in 1517. The present building of Gurdwārā Gurū Nānak in the southern part of the town was constructed in 1950, and a second storey was added to it in 1970. The dīvān hall, with the sanctum along the middle of the rear wall, is in the central portion of the first floor. The Gurdwārā is affiliated to the Jammū and Kashmīr Gurdwārā Parbandhak Board and is managed by its district committee for Anantnāg.