BAHĀDURGAṚH, Fort, 9 km northeast of Paṭiālā (30º 20'N, 76º-26'E), marks the site of the old Saifābād Fort, the residence of Nawāb Saif ud-Dīn Mahmūd or Saif Khān. The Fort was acquired by Rājā Amar Siṅgh (1748-82) of Paṭiālā in 1774 and was reconstructed by Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh (1798-1845) in 1837. The latter renamed it Bahādurgaṛh after Gurū Tegh Bahādur who had visited the place more than once. Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh also raised two gurdwārās, one outside the Fort and the other inside it, both honouring the memory of Gurū Tegh Bahādur.
GURDWĀRĀ SRĪ GURŪ TEGH BAHĀDUR, BAHĀDURGAṚH, is about 200 metres north of the Fort. According to tradition, Gurū Tegh Bahādur, during one of his travels through the Mālvā region, stayed here at the request of Nawāb Saif Khān. The latter, a pious Muslim and an ardent admirer of Gurū Tegh Bahādur, had met the Gurū earlier also. Gurū Tegh Bahādur arrived here on 16 Hāṛ 1732 Bk / 14 June 1675 and stayed in the Nawāb's garden, no longer extant but for a few banyan trees around a tank. Saif Khān requested him to prolong his sojourn here. The latter stayed on during the rainy season. On several occasions, the Nawāb took him inside his fort so that the ladies of his house could also benefit from the Gurū's darshan and discourse. The Gurū left on 17 Assū 1732 Bk/17 September 1675 to continue his travels.
The Gurdwārā is in the shape of a large havelī or fortress with an imposing three-storeyed gateway. The heavy wooden gate is set in a red stone frame under an ogee-shaped trefoil arch. The gate is flanked on either side by door-sized niches. The first floor has projecting windows, and at the top there are decorative pavilions. Octagonal turrets are built all along the outer wall at regular intervals. Inside the havelī there is a cemented court-yard with rooms all around it. The sanctum where the Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated stands on a high square base in the middle. It consists of a small room crowned with a pinnacled lotus-dome and surrounded by a marble-floored verandah. The interior walls and the ceiling are set in with reflecting glass pieces and have decorative filigree work in delicate designs. Painted in miniature fresco are the portraits of the Gurūs. The dīvān hall is at the back of the sanctum. To the north of the Gurdwārā is the 90-metre square sarovar. This Gurdwārā is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee.
GURDWĀRĀ SRĪ GURŪ TEGH BAHĀDUR, BAHĀDURGAṚH FORT, is a modern construction enclosing the historical shrine built by Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh of Paṭiālā. The original building, still intact, consists of a small room with a door on each of the four sides, radiating arches and a lotus dome. The entire interior surface is richly decorated with coloured motifs. The outer surface of the walls, however, has since been plastered and colour-washed to match the colour scheme of the enclosing hall. The hall has a flat roof supported by four square-shaped pillars. In front of it is a spacious platform with a small pool within it. The Gurdwārā is maintained by the police contingent housed in the Fort.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)