BAHIR JACHCHH or Bahir Jakkh, a village in Samāṇā tahsīl of Paṭiālā district, situated on the left bank of the Sarasvatī, a small stream sacred to the Hindus, commemorates the visit of Gurū Tegh Bahādur, who is believed to have stayed here with a devotee, Mallā, a carpenter by trade. A small mud hut marked the site until Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh, of Paṭiālā, in whose territory the village lay, had a proper gurdwārā constructed in 1840. This, too, has since been demolished and replaced by a bigger gurdwārā and a sarovar, holy bathing pool.
There is a story connected with the construction of the Māñjī Sāhib at Bahir Jachchh by Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh. It is said that once the Mahārājā, accompanied by the Mahārāṇī, went on a pilgrimage to Pehovā, which fell in the territory of Bhāī Ude Siṅgh of Kaithal. There arose a dispute over protocol between the Mahārāṇī and the Rāṇī of Bhāī Ude Siṅgh as to who should take her dip in the Sarasvatī first. The Rāṇī of Kaithal remarked sarcastically that, if the Mahārāṇī of Paṭiālā was so jealous of her superiority even at holy places of pilgrimage, she should find a holy place in her own territory. Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh, on his return to Paṭiālā, enquired from the paṇḍits whether there was not a comparable holy place within his dominions. The paṇḍits recommended Bahir Jachchh for its location on the holy Sarasvatī, for its connection with the story of the Mahābhārata and for Gurū Tegh Bahādur's visit to the place. The Mahārājā then got a gurdwārā and a temple built in the village.
The Gurdwārā, named after Gurū Tegh Bahādur but commonly called Gurdwārā Bahir Sāhib, is affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. The management for the present is in the hands of sants of Pehovā who are supervising its reconstruction.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)