BAMBELĪ (also referred to locally as Dugg-Bambelī because of its proximity to another village called Dugg), 12 km north of Phagawāṛā (31º-14'N, 75º-46'E) in the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Har Rāi who visited here during one of his journeys between Kartārpur and Kīratpur. Gurdwārā Chauntā Sāhib Pātshāhī VII, near the confluence of two chos or seasonal streams to the northwest of the village, marks the site where the Gurū had halted and sat on a platform of earthwork (chauntā in the local dialect of Punjabi). The Gurdwārā building, constructed during recent years, comprises a large hall with a square sanctum in the middle. The shrine is affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, but is administered by Sant Harbaṅs Siṅgh of Ḍumelī, who raised the present building. Two Sikh penants close to the gurdwārā mark the spots where four Babar Akālīs brought to bay by British police fell fighting in a prolonged encounter on 1 September 1923.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)