BARGĀṚĪ, village 15 km southeast of Koṭ Kapūrā (30º-35'N, 74º-49'E) in Farīdkoṭ district of the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh who visited it in December 1705 on his way from Dīnā to Koṭ Kapūrā. A shrine was established later on the site on the northern edge of the village where the Gurū had halted. Bargāṛī gained prominence in 1924 during the Jaito campaign when the first Shahīdī Jathā or band of Sikh volunteers, determined to reach Gurdwārā Gaṅgsar or meet martyrs' death, made, in its march from Amritsar, its last overnight halt at this village. The villagers served the jathā as well as the large crowd that had gathered around it during its long journey with great devotion and zeal.
Gurdwārā Pātshāhī Dasvīṅ, inside a walled compound entered through a gateway, preserves the old sanctum, a 5-metre square room, to which a 10-metre square hall has been added in recent years. The Gurdwārā is endowed with 20 acres of land and is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. Besides the daily services, special dīvāns take place on the first of every Bikramī month, and all major anniversaries on the Sikh calendar are observed. The occasion marked by special fervour is the annual festival of Baisākhī, birthday of the Khālsā.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)