BAṚH, a town in Paṭnā district of Bihār, 56 km east of old Paṭnā city (25º-37'N, 85º-10'E), is sacred to Gurū Tegh Bahādur who stayed here during his tour of the eastern districts in 1666. It has one Suthrāshāhī Saṅgat and two Udāsī Saṅgats existing of old. Gurū Tegh Bahādur stayed at what is known as Baṛī (larger) Saṅgat, situated in Chūnā Khārī Mohallā. It was spread over a one-acre compound and had a prayer hall with the Gurū Granth Sāhib seated in the centre. But the building was completely destroyed in the 1934 earthquake, with the exception of an old well which is still in use. The priests never had the resources to rebuild it, though they continue to be in possession of the open site. They claim to belong to Nānak Panthī Udāsīn Mat, but do not observe celibacy. They live with their families in a couple of rooms in one corner, and follow mundane professions for their livelihood. However, a hand-written copy of the Gurū Granth Sāhib and an old Janam Sākhī are kept by them reverently wrapped in coverlets.
A small gurdwārāhas been established in Baṛh in recent years by Takht Harimandar Sāhib, Paṭnā, for half a dozen families of native Bihārī Sikhs. It is located in Balīpur Mohallā, Pīpal Tāl, near Tirāhā Chowk.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)