BHĀGALPUR (25º-14'N, 86º-58'E), a district town in Bihār situated on the right bank of the River Gaṅgā, was visited by Gurū Tegh Bahādur in 1666. Baṛī Saṅgat on Būṛhānāth Ghāṭ, where he stayed, is now represented by a small shrine, constructed in a by-lane in 1974. It is called Gurdwārā Baṛī Saṅgat Srī Gurū Tegh Bahādur Jī Chaukī Sāhib. It contains a stone slab (chaukī) which, it is believed, was used by the Gurū to sit on for his bath. Every month, on amāvasyā (the last day of the dark half of the lunar month), the Gurū Granth Sāhib is brought here from Gurdwārā Gurū Siṅgh Sabhā and Sikhs congregate for a dīvān. An old hand-written copy of the Gurū Granth Sāhib acquired from the former mahant of Baṛī Saṅgat is now kept in Gurdwārā Srī Gurū Siṅgh Sabhā, Bhāgalpur.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)