BHĀĪ PHERŪ, GURDWĀRĀ (also called Gurdwārā Saṅgat Sāhib), named after its founder, the well known Udāsī Sikh preacher Bhāī Pherū (1640-1706), is located at Mieṅ kī Mauṛ, in Chūnīāṅ tahsīl of Lahore district in Pakistan. During Sikh times, large endowments in land extending to about 2, 750 acres were inscribed to the shrine which was administered by a line of priests belonging to Saṅgat Sāhib Ke sect of Udāsī Sikhs. As a campaign for bringing the Sikh places of worship under the management of a central body, the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, formed in 1920, negotiations were opened with the mahant or custodian for the transfer of the Bhāī Pherū Gurdwārā and the landed property attached to it. The Mahant, Kishan Dās, agreed in consideration of a monthly pension of Rs 400 and free rations for life. The Shiromaṇī Committee took possession of the Gurdwārā on 28 December 1922. But later the Mahant, repudiating the agreement, filed with the police a complaint of trespass against the manager, Jagat Siṅgh, and other staff appointed by the Shiromaṇī Committee. The police, on 7 December 1923, arrested Jagat Siṅgh and ten other Sikhs. Thirty four more arrests were made on 2 January 1924. This led the Shiromaṇī Committee to launch a morchā. Bands of Akālī volunteers started courting arrest daily from 5 January 1924 onwards. The morchā was pledged to non-violence and every day volunteers offered themselves for arrest. This went on for a period of 21 months. On 20 September 1925 there occurred an incident of violence at which the Shiromaṇī Committee called off the agitation. On 9 July 1925 the Punjab Government adopted the Sikh Gurdwārā Act providing for the transfer of control of Sikh shrines and their properties to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, but the matter of the Bhāī Pherū Gurdwārā and its properties was then before a court of law. The case was ultimately decided in favour of the reformers on 19 June 1931 enabling the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee to take over possession of the shrine and the lands. The Gurdwārā was abandoned at the time of mass migrations in the wake of the partition of the Punjab in 1947. Since then it is supposed to be maintained by the Pakistan Waqf Board.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)