BHĀĪ PHERŪ MORCHĀ, one of a series of campaigns in the Sikhs' agitation in the 1920's for the reformation of their holy places. Gurdwārā Saṅgat Sāhib, located in Mīeṅ ke Mauṛ in Lahore district, about 15 km from Chhāṅga Māṅgā railway station, dedicated to the memory of Bhāī Pherū (1640-1706), a masand or parish leader in the time of Gurū Har Rāi who was honoured for his devotion by Gurū Gobind Siṅgh with the titles of Sachchī Dāhṛī (True Bearded) and Saṅgat Sāhib, was an important shrine, with 2, 750 acres of land attached to it, and was being managed by Mahant Kishan Dās. After the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, a representative society of the Sikhs, had taken over management of some of the major shrines and mahants or priests had started voluntarily handing over Gurdwārā under their control, Mahant Kishan Dās, on 28 December 1922, transferred Gurdwārā Bhāī Pherū to the Committee. He later went back on the agreement he had signed and petitioned the government to have the shrine and the lands restored to him. On 7 December 1923 the police arrested the manager, Jagat Siṅgh, and eleven other representatives of the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. The possession of the shrine and the estate was restored to the Mahant and his tenants. However, the decision of the deputy commissioner of Lahore on the Gurdwārā lands went in favour of the Shiromaṇī Committee and, as its representatives arrived to take charge of these, Mahant Kishan Dās and his tenant Pālā Rām, brother of Mahant Naraiṇ Dās, of Srī Nankāṇā Sāhib, lodged a complaint with police that the Akālīs were forcibly taking possession of his property. Police arrested 34 Akālīs on 2 January 1924. The government revised its earlier decision given in favour of the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee and passed fresh orders declaring Pālā Rām to be temporarily in possession of the land. Akālīs launched a morchā in protest even as the morchā at Jaito was still continuing. Jathās or batches of Akālī volunteers started marching to Bhāī Pherū from different parts of the district. On 5 January 1924, the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee took the campaign into its own hands. By 10 September 1925, the number of arrests had reached 6, 372. An unsavoury incident, however, led the local organizer, Arjan Siṅgh, to suspend the morchā on 20 September 1925. The Gurdwārā and the lands attached to it came under the Committee's control after the Sikh Gurdwārā Act of 1925 was passed by the Punjab Legislative Council, and the court case too was decided in the Committee's favour in June 1931.