BHALĀN, village near the confluence of Soāṅ rivulet with the River Sutlej 14 km south of Naṅgal in Ropaṛ district of the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, who arrived here following Khānzādā Rustam Khān in the winter of 1693-94. As Gurū Gobind Siṅgh himself relates in his Bachitra Nāṭak, the Khānzādā had planned to surprise the Sikhs with a night attack, but finding the defendants alert he beat a hasty retreat. "Ravaging Barvā village (on his way back), " records Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, "he made a halt at Bhalān. " The shrine rebuilt by the local saṅgat in 1960 is called Gurdwārā Dashmeshgaṛh (lit. Fort of the Tenth Master). It is a small square sanctum with a circumambulatory verandah around it. The Gurdwārā is managed by a committee of the local Sikhs.