BHAṄGĀṆĪ, a small village on the right bank of the River Yamunā about 11 km from Pāoṇṭā (30º-25'N, 70º-40'E) in Sirmūr district of Himāchal Pradesh was the scene of a battle between the hill rājās and Gurū Gobind Siṅgh. The chiefs taking exception to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh's teaching equalizing all castes and feeling jealous of his growing influence, marched against him, led by Rājā Fateh Chand of Srīnagar (Gaṛhvāl). Forestalling the attack on Pāoṇṭā, Gurū Gobind Siṅgh advanced towards Bhaṅgāṇī with his Sikhs. The rājās, reinforced by a few hundred Paṭhāns who had deserted the Gurū's camp, were confident of their strength and had imprudently collected their force in the open ground on the river bed. The Gurū established his base in a grove and kept his forward troops on a higher ground, and selected for himself a vantage point from where to direct the action. The battle fought on 18 September 1688 ended in favour of the Sikhs. Two shrines exist at Bhaṅgāṇī commemorating this battle.
GURDWĀRĀ TĪRGAṚHĪ stands on the mound where the Gurū had stood to control the battle. The present building at Gurdwārā Tīr Gaṛhī consists of a square hall with a verandah on all four sides.
GURDWĀRĀ BHAṄGĀṆĪ SĀHIB marks the site where the Gurū had kept his munitions and provisions. The Gurdwārā was reconstructed in late 1970's by Sant Sevā Siṅgh of Anandpur. Adjacent to the Gurdwārā is a well sunk in 1936-37 by Bābā Indar Siṅgh, a disciple of Bābā Karam Siṅgh of Hotī. Both these gurdwārās are managed by a local committee.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)