BHARATGAṚH, an old village 18 km north of Ropaṛ (30º-58'N, 76º-31'E) in the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Tegh Bahādur. Gurū Tegh Bahādur passed through this village travelling in July 1675 from Anandpur to Delhi resolved to make the supreme sacrifice to uphold the freedom of faith. His first halt was at Kīratpur where he spent a day meeting relations and making offerings at the holy shrines. The next halt was at Bharatgaṛh, a distance of about 10 km from Kīratpur. A platform was established here to commemorate his visit. The present gurdwārā was constructed in 1932. It is situated along the main street and consists of a flat-roofed rectangular hall with a verandah on the eastern side. The shrine is managed by a committee of the local Sikhs.