BHUṄGARNĪ, village near the right bank of the Jalandhar branch of the Bist Doāb canal, 20 km south of Hoshiārpur (31º-32'N, 75º-55'E), is sacred to Gurū Har Rāi, who stayed here in the course of his journey between Kīratpur and Kartārpur. A platform and a small shrine, established inside the village in honour of the Gurū's visit, was looked after for a long time by a line of Mirāsī (Muslim bards or heralds) priests until the local Sikh saṅgat took it over in the Siṅgh Sabhā days. Later, a new building was raised on the site (cornerstone laid on 19 March 1917). Now known as Gurdwārā Gurū Har Rāi Sāhib Jī Pātshāhī VII, the shrine is managed by a local committee under the overall control of the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. Besides the daily services, special dīvāns are held on the first of each Bikramī month. The major festival of the year is Baisākhī which is celebrated with special eclat as the birthday of the Khālsā.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)