BURHĀNPUR (21º-18'N, 76º-14'E), a medieval walled town on the banks of the River Tāptī, is in East Nīmār (Khaṇḍwā) district of Madhya Pradesh. It is a railway station on the main Delhi-Iṭārsī-Bombay section of the Central Railway. There are two historical Sikh shrines in the town.
GURDWĀRĀ SAṄGAT RĀJGHĀṬ PĀTSHĀHĪ PAHILĪ, situated on the bank of the Tāptī, perpetuates the memory of the saṅgat established in the wake of Gurū Nānak's visit in the early sixteenth century. The Gurū is said to have stayed at Burhānpur with one Bhāī Bhagvān Dās, who became a Sikh and who lived up to the time of Gurū Hargobind. Bhāī Gurdās who, in his Vārāṅ, XI. 30, mentions the name of Bhāī Bhagvān Dās, also testifies to the existence of the flourishing Sikh saṅgat at Burhānpur. In later times, with the coming into prominence of Baṛī Saṅgat where Gurū Gobind Siṅgh stayed en route to Nāndeḍ, the Rājghāṭ site was neglected and became almost extinct. It was re-established by one Bhāī Sādhū Siṅgh in 1938. The present building, a modest single room, was opened for pilgrims on Kārtik Pūrṇimā 2014 Bk/7 November 1957.
GURDWĀRĀ BAṚĪ SAṄGAT Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, while travelling to the Deccan in company with Emperor Bahādur Shāh I, arrived at Burhānpur on 13 May 1708 and stayed there till the crossing of the Tāptī between 11 and 14 June 1708 into the Deccan. He encamped outside the town, and the local Sikhs attended on him daily, and continued to assemble on the spot even after his departure. The site became the venue of the Burhānpur saṅgat or fellowship, and came to be designated Baṛī Saṅgat. After the sack of Mathurā by Ahmad Shāh Durrānī in 1757, Haṭhī Siṅgh, son of Ajīt Siṅgh, adopted son of Mātā Sundarī, settled at Burhānpur. Hathī Siṅgh died leaving no male heir, but the saṅgat continued under the guidance of Nirmalā and Udāsī priests. Some Sikh immigrants came to Burhānpur from the Punjab in the 1947 upheavel and they rebuilt the shrine. The present building complex consists of a dīvān hall, rooms for pilgrims, the Gurū kā Laṅgar and some farm houses. Two old samādhīs, or tombs, one of Haṭhī Siṅgh and the other of his spouse still exist at the back of the dīvān hall. A small room behind these samādhīs, called Nivās Asthān Pātshāhī 10, is inscribed to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, who is believed to have stayed there at the time of his visit to Burhānpur.
In the Gurdwārā is kept an old handwritten copy of the Gurū Granth Sāhib with an inscription which is believed to be Gurū Gobind Siṅgh's autograph. Each page is decorated with exquisitely-wrought border in gold, red, green and blue colours and with floral designs.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)