BŪṚĪĀ, an old town about 4 km east of Jagādhrī (300-10'N, 770-17'E), was the seat of a minor principality ruled by a scion of the Bhaṅgī misl. Gurū Tegh Bahādur is believed to have visited Būṛīā during one of his preaching journeys. The old Mañjī Sāhib built in his honour was replaced by the present Gurdwārā constructed in 1920 by Māī Hukam Kaur Ḍhilvāṅ Vālī, a lady of the ruling house. The main building stands on a metre-high octagonal platform. It has an inner sanctum, a domed room, with a circular base in which the Gurū Granth Sāhib is installed. The management of the Gurdwārā is in the hands of the erstwhile chiefs of Būṛīā.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)