BUTĀLĀ, a village 7 km northeast of Bābā Bakālā (310-34'N, 750-16'E) in Amritsar district of the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Hargobind who, according to local tradition, visited here on 15 Phāgun 1665 Bk/ 10 February 1609. The inhabitants of Butālā, with the exception of an old lady and her son who followed the Sikh faith, were the worshippers of Sakhī Sarwar. One day, it is said, the son asked the mother, what offering they would have for the Gurū, should he, in answer to their prayers, come to them. They were very poor; the mother assured her son, "The Gurū accepts whatever is offered with devotion. The value does not count. " From that moment, the son would always keep a rupee and a lump of jaggery tied in the corner, or pallā, of his waist-cloth so that he could make the offering even if he met the Gurū by chance out in the fields. The villagers started calling him by the name of Bhāī Pallā. One day, Gurū Hargobind, accompanied by his retinue of attendants, did come to Butālā. Pallā and his mother served him with devotion and received his benediction. They converted their house into a Sikh place of worship. Bhāī Pallā's descendants built the present Gurdwārā Pātshāhī VI in 1887. It comprises a square sanctum, with a varandah all around. The dome and pinnacle were erected in 1943. The adjoining pavilion for congregation and rooms for residence and Gurū kā Laṅgar were added later. The Gurdwārā is managed by a village committee. Besides the observance of important anniversaries on the Sikh calendar, an annual fair is held on the 15th of Phāgun, falling at the end of February.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)