CHAKAR, village 17 km south of Jagrāoṅ (30º - 47'N, 75º- 28'E), in Ludhiāṇā district, is sacred both to Gurū Hargobind and Gurū Gobind Siṅgh. Gurū Hargobind passed through here in the course of his tour of the Mālvā in 1631-32 and Gurū Gobind Siṅgh at the end of 1705 after the battle of Chamkaur. The Gurdwārā Gurū Sar Pātshāhī VI and X, an imposing structure, is situated at the north-western corner of the village. Constructed during the 1970's, it is a large square hall with a square sanctum at the far end. Above the sanctum are four storeys of square rooms, with decorative screens around them, topped by a ribbed lotus dome, an ornamental golden pinnacle and an umbrella shaped finial. The walls and ceiling of the entrance porch as well as the main hall are coated with stucco and inset with reflecting glass pieces. The 35-metre square sarovar (holy tank) flanks the hall on the right as one enters the premises. Gurū kā Laṅgar (community kitchen) and lodgings are on the left. The Gurdwārā is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a village committee.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)