CHAPPAR CHIṚĪ (30º - 45'N, 76º - 40'E), Baṛī and Chhoṭī (senior and junior), are twin villages in Ropaṛ district, along Kharaṛ-Banūṛ road, now officially named Bandā Siṅgh Bahādur road. This area was the scene of a historic battle. Gurdwārā Bābā Bandā Bahādur is situated between the two villages by the side of the metalled link road joining them. The battle took place around here on 12 May 1710 between the Sikhs led by Bandā Siṅgh Bahādur and Wazīr Khān, the imperial faujdār of Sirhind. The latter was killed and the Mughal army routed. The Sikhs occupied Sirhind on 14 May 1710. No memorial, however, existed to commemorate the historic event till the 1950's when the two villages jointly established a Gurdwārā. In the 1970's was added a new hall in which the Gurū Granth Sāhib is now seated. The old building is being used for a primary school. Another small room constructed recently is meant for Bābā Bandā Siṅgh Bahādur Library. The Gurdwārā is managed by a committee representing the two villages.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)