CHHEHARṬĀ SĀHIB, GURDWĀRĀ, 7 km west of Amritsar (31º - 38'N, 74º- 52'E), is named after a well got sunk by Gurū Arjan (1563-1606). The well was so wide that six Persian wheels installed around it could operate simultaneously. Hence its name Chheharṭā, lit : having six (chhe) Persian wheels (harṭ or halṭ). The well is now covered up, but its water is pumped up to feed the main tank of the Gurdwārā. Now developed as an industrial township, Chheharṭā falls within the revenue limits of Vaḍālī Gurū, a village one km to the south, where Gurū Arjan had stayed during 1594-97. The Gurdwārā complex, set on a 6 acre walled compound, includes a dīvān hall, with a square sanctum in the middle enclosed by a brass palisade. Above the sanctum is a square room with a lotus dome topped by a gold-plated pinnacle. Two Nishān Sāhibs, Sikh flags, atop 25-metre tall flagposts, one on either side, stand in front of the hall. The Gurdwārā is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee, which also controls other historical shrines of Vaḍālī Gurū. Congregations held on the fifth day of the light half of every lunar month attract large gatherings. The largest-attended is the fair held on this day in the month of Māgh (January-February) which marks the popular Basant Pañchamī festival.