DARGĀHĀ SIṄGH, BHĀĪ (1713-1823), a Nirmalā saint, was born in 1713 the son of Bhāī Nigāhīā Siṅgh of the village of Lauṅgovāl, in present-day Saṅgrūr district of the Punjab. Nigāhīā Siṅgh was known to be the elder brother of Bhāī Manī Siṅgh, the martyr. For the dīvālī festival of 1725, Nigāhīā Siṅgh along with his seven sons went to Amritsar where the whole family received the initiatory rites of the Khālsā at the hands of Bhāī Manī Siṅgh. Three of the brothers remained in Amritsar, among them Dargāhā Siṅgh who showed marked aptitude for scholarly learning as well as for the martial arts. He gained proficiency in both fields, though he was more inclined towards religious pursuits. He left Amritsar and went to Kurukshetra where he became a disciple of Paṇḍit Mān Siṅgh, a noted Nirmalā scholar of the time. Later, he moved to Haridvār and settled at Kankhal where he established his ḍerā or monastery on an extensive piece of land gifted by the Muslim chief of Juālāpur. He also built a shrine dedicated to Gurū Amar Dās (1479-1574) who had visited Haridvār several times. The ḍerā of Bhāī Dargāhā Siṅgh, patronized by Rājā Sāhib Siṅgh and Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh of Paṭiālā, developed into a prominent centre of the Nirmalā sect. Bhāī Dargāhā Siṅgh died there in 1823.
Balbīr Siṅgh Viyogī