ḌHAKAULĪ, a village in Paṭiālā district, 14 km east of Chaṇḍigaṛh (30º-44'N, 76º-46'E), is famous for Gurdwārā Bāolī Sāhib, dedicated to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh. According to local tradition, the Gurū, on his way back from Pāoṇṭā to Anandpur in November 1688 decided to encamp on this site. He was told by the villagers that the nearest source of water was the stream Sukhnā which was 2 km away. At this the Gurū pierced the ground with his spear and caused water to trickle forth and form a pool. A shrine was established later on the bank of this pool and the original spring was converted into a well. In 1979-80, the Gurdwārā was handed over by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee to the followers of Sant Bābā Jīvan Siṅgh for reconstruction. Special dīvāns are held on amāvasyā, the last day of the dark half of every month, when pilgrims throng in large numbers.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)