DHUBṚĪ (26º-2'N, 89º-55'E), on the right bank of the River Brahmputra, in Assam, is sacred to the memory of Gurū Nānak and of Gurū Tegh Bahādur. Assam in Indian legend and history has been the land of black magic. Janam Sākhīs record how at the time of Gurū Nānak's visit, his constant companion and follower, Mardānā, fell into the clutches of a sorceress who transformed him into a ram, and how the Gurū not only rescued him but also reformed the woman practising witchcraft. Gurū Tegh Bahādur visited Dhubṛī in early March 1670. Rājā Rām Siṅgh of Āmber, who had been sent by Auraṅgzīb on a punitive expedition to Assam against the Ahom chief, Rājā Chakradhvaj, was with him. Gurū Tegh Bahādur put up at Dhubrī at a spot overlooking the sprawling river and now marked by Gurdwārā Srī Gurū Tegh Bahādur Jī. He brought about peace between the warring armies, and, to celebrate the happy conclusion of a dreaded expedition, he, with the help of Rājā Rām Siṅgh's troops, had a high mound constructed, each soldier contributing five shieldfuls of earth. The small octagonal room with a circular sloping roof and a narrow circumambulatory passage, constructed on top of this mound in 1966, is called Thaṛā Sāhib or Damdamā Sāhib. The Gurū Granth Sāhib is installed inside the room. The main shrine, Gurdwārā Srī Gurū Tegh Bahādur Jī, close by, consists of a well ventilated and fly-proofed square hall with wooden walls and a sloping roof of corrugated sheets. The local Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee and the Sikh Pratinidhi Board, Eastern Zone, have planned to extend the building.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)