ḌUMELĪ, village 18 km north of Phagwāṛā (31º-14'N, 75º-46'E) in the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Hargobind who, according to local tradition, visited here on 11 Chet 1695 Bk / 9 March 1638. The shrine raised in his honour is named Gurdwārā Thamm Sāhib Pātshāhī VI after a wooden column (thamm, in Punjabi), which, preserved as a sacred relic, is believed to have been installed by the Gurū himself. The gurdwārā, entered through a small gateway opening on a narrow lane inside the village, is a hall with a high, vaulted ceiling. The sanctum, a raised platform in the middle of the room, has the Thamm Sāhib draped in cloth in the centre with the Gurū Granth Sāhib seated on a pālakī (palanquin). The Gurdwārā is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. The major annual celebration is the birthday of Gurū Hargobind.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)