GAṚHĪ NAZĪR, a village 3 km to the southeast of Samāṇā (30º 11'N, 76º 11'E), is the site of an historical Sikh shrine called Gurdwārā Srī Gurū Tegh Bahādur Pātshāhī 9. From Samāṇā, Gurū Tegh Bahādur, for whose arrest an imperial troop had been patrolling the countryside, was escorted by Muhammad Bakhsh, a Muslim noble of liberal religious views, to the safety of his own house in Gaṛhī Nazīr. The pursuing soldiers, following the scent, also arrived at Gaṛhī and made enquiries, but Muhammad Bakhsh denied the Gurū's presence in his house and sent them away.
A small shrine was later built in the village on the spot sacred to Gurū Tegh Bahādur. Bhāī Ude Siṅgh, the ruler of Kaithal (d. 1843), made an endowment of 20 acres of land for its maintenance, and Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh of Paṭiālā (1798-1845) had a new building constructed. The present building, comprising an assembly hall, with a canopied marble throne for the Gurū Granth Sāhib and the Gurū kā Laṅgar, was raised by the sants of Pehovā during the late 1970's. The Gurdwārā is affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)