GHANAULĀ, an old village 10 km north of Ropaṛ (30º58'N, 76º31'E) in the Punjab, used to be the headquarters of a parganah in Mughal times. It claims a historical shrine which commemorates the visit of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh in 1688 while he was returning from Pāoṇṭā to Anandpur. He again passed through Ghanaulā on 6 December 1705 while proceeding to Koṭlā Nihaṅg Khān en route to Chamkaur. The Gurdwārā, a modestlooking singleroom structure on the top of a mound near an old fortress, is looked after by the village saṅgat.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)