GHUKKEVĀLĪ, village 21 km north of Amritsar (31º-38'N, 74º-52'E) and connected by a link road to the Amritsar-Ajnālā-Ḍerā Bābā Nānak road, has two historical shrines, sacred to Gurū Arjan (1563-1606) and Gurū Tegh Bahādur (1621-75), respectively.
GURDWĀRĀ GURŪ KĀ BĀGH, located in what was formerly called Gurū kī Rauṛ (rauṛ is a Punjabi word for a barren tract of land), commemorates Gurū Arjan's stay here during his travel through the Mājhā country. A small shrine was established by Bhāī Ghukkā, the founder of the village, whose descendants continued to look after it. When Gurū Tegh Bahādur visited the place in 1664, he encouraged the villagers to dig a well and raise a garden in the barren tract. As a result, Gurū kī Rauṛ in time became Gurū kā Bāgh (lit. Gurū's Garden). A gurdwārā was established and richly endowed during the time of the Sikh ruler, Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh (1780-1839). Like many other shrines it was under the control of Udāsī priests, and it was after a grim, non-violent agitation, known as Gurū kā Bāgh morchā, in 1922, that the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee secured possession of the shrine and of lands attached to it. The present building complex was constructed during the 1980's within a high-walled compound. At the far end of the main assembly hall is the sanctum topped by a domed pavilion. In front of the hall is the sarovar, on the bank of which stands a tall memorial in honour of the martyrs of the Gurū kā Bāgh morchā of 1922. A separate gurdwārā, equally elegant, in the same compound commemorates the visit of Gurū Tegh Bahādur.
GURDWĀRĀ BĀOLĪ SĀHĪB is also dedicated to Gurū Tegh Bahādur. The open well (bāolī in Punjabi) caused to be dug by the Gurū still exists. Close to it is the assembly hall, with the sanctum at the far end.
'Both these gurdwārās are managed by a local committee under the auspices of the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee.