GONDPUR, village 22 km south of Hoshiārpur (31º-32'N, 75º-55'E), in the Punjab, claims a historical shrine, Gurdwārā Ṭāhlī Sāhib, dedicated to Gurū Hargobind, who came here from Pur Hīrāṅ on his way to Kīratpur and stayed in a grove of ṭāhlī trees. A platform was raised on the site amid the grove as a memorial which came to be called Gurū kiāṅ Ṭāhliāṅ. The platform was later replaced by a gurdwārā. The present building, constructed in 1930, is a rectangular hall, with a sanctum at the northern end. A square room with a lotus dome above it tops the sanctum. In the adjoining compound are the Gurū kā Laṅgar and rooms for the granthī. The Gurdwārā, affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, is managed by a local committee. Besides daily services, special assemblies are held on the first and thirteenth of every Bikramī month, on the latter especially because of the belief that it was on the thirteenth day of the month of Phāgun that Gurū Hargobind visited the place.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)