HAḌIĀYĀ or Haṇḍiāyā, village 6 km southwest of Barnālā (30º-22'N, 75º-32'E) in Saṅgrūr district of the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Tegh Bahādur. According to local tradition, the Gurū came here in 1722 Bk/ AD 1665 and sat in a grove near a pond. The villagers at first paid no attention to him. Then a person came and complained of a certain disease that was rampant in the village. He particularly lamented the suffering of his son. The Gurū advised him to have the patient bathed in the pond. He objected that the tanners of the village dipped the hides in the water, completely polluting it. The Gurū told him to ignore the tanning and try the remedy. The villager complied, with the result that the patient felt relieved and cured. As the news spread, the whole village flocked to the pond to bathe in it and get rid of the disease. They gratefully served the Gurū thereafter and were blessed by him. The pond has since been developed into a 64-metre square sarovar and its water is still believed to possess curative properties. The shrine established to commemorate the sacred visit is called Gurdwārā Sāhib Gurū Sar Pakkā Pātshāhī IX. The present building, constructed by Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh (1798-1845), ruler of Paṭiālā state, is a large havelī, high-walled house, entered through a high gateway with a heavy wooden gate. The sanctum, a 5-metre square domed room on a high plinth, stands in the middle of the brick-paved inner compound. The Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated on a platform in the centre of this room. A well-ventilated dīvān hall was added in 1962. The Gurdwārā owns 90 acres of land and is now managed directly by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. Large gatherings take place on amāvasyā, the last day of the dark half of every lunar month.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)