HĀFIZĀBĀD (32º-4'N, 73º-41'E), a sub-divisional town in Gujrāṅwālā district of Pakistan, claimed a historical Sikh shrine commemorating the visit of Gurū Hargobind, who stopped here briefly travelling back from Kashmīr in 1620. Gurdwārā Chhevīṅ Pātshāhī, as it was known, remained affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee until 1947 when it was abandoned in the wake of the partition of the Punjab. Hāfizābād is also famous in the Sikh tradition because of the association of the name of the town with a Janam Sākhī manuscript which was discovered here in 1884 by Bhāī Gurmukh Siṅgh of the Oriental College, Lahore. Bhāī Gurmukh Siṅgh passed the manuscript on to Max Arthur Macauliffe, who had it lithographed. In his introduction to the lithographed edition, Bhāī Gurmukh Siṅgh designated the work as Hāfizābād Janam Sākhī. The text did not diverge much from the older Colebrooke manuscript known as Valāyatvālī Janam Sākhī.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)