HAKĪMPUR, a village 9 km southeast of Baṅgā (31º-11'N, 76ºE) in Jalandhar district of the Punjab, claims a historical shrine called Gurdwārā Nānaksar, sacred to Gurū Nānak (1469-1539), who, according to local tradition, once halted here travelling from Kartārpur (Rāvī). Gurū Har Rāi, Nānak VII, (1630-61) also visited this village and stayed here for some time during one of his journeys between Kartārpur and Kīratpur. The Gurdwārā is about one kilometre north of the village. The present three-storeyed building built in 1974 by Bābā Nihāl Siṅgh Harīāṅvelāṅvāle comprises a marble-floored hall, which encloses at the far end the 4-metre square old room got built by Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh (1780-1839) and used as the sanctum sanctorum. The dome atop the third storey has a gilded pinnacle. Gurū kā Laṅgar and residential quarters are to the east of the main building and the sarovar or bathing tank to the south of it. An annual religious fair is held in September. The Gurdwārā is affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee but is maintained by Nihaṅgs of the Taruṇā Dal led by Bābā Nihāl Siṅgh of Harīāṅvelāṅ.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)