HARĪ SIṄGH KAHĀRPURĪ, SANT (1888-1973), Sikh saint and preacher, was born in 1888 in a Liddaṛ Jaṭṭ family of the village of Jiāṇ, in Hoshiārpur district of the Punjab. He was the youngest of the three sons of Avtār Siṅgh and Atar Kaur. He received instruction in religious texts from Sant Dalīp Siṅgh of Ḍomelī. He grew up to be a youth of a strong, athletic build and enlisted in the 25th Punjab Battalion as a sepoy in 1904, serving in the North-West Frontier Province.
Under the influence of Sant Harnām Siṅgh who also belonged to the village of Jiāṇ and who was also then serving in the army, his native religious inclination asserted itself and he became more and more preoccupied with gurbāṇī and meditation. He resigned from the army on 31 March 1909, and for the next four years served in Gurū kā Laṅgar at the ḍerā or monastery of the much revered saint, Sant Karam Siṅgh of Hotī Mardān. He returned to the Punjab in 1913 and established, on the bank of a cho or seasonal rivulet, near Kahārpur village in Hoshiārpur district, his own ḍerā, where he preached and ran a Gurū kā Laṅgar or community kitchen. Sant Harī Siṅgh Kahārpurī, as he came to be known, gave himself to preaching the Sikh faith as well as to the spreading of modern education among the rural masses. He had Khālsā schools established at Kukkāṛ Bāṛīāṅ, Jiāṇ, Nasrālā and Māhalpur. The last-named has since developed into a flourishing degree college. Sant Harī Siṅgh Kahārpurī is also remembered for supervising, during 1936-44, the reconstruction of Takht Srī Kesgaṛh Sāhib at Anandpur, where he also renovated Gurdwārā Mañjī Sāhib and Gurū kā Tālāb. He also constructed dharamsālās at Jiāṇ and Bāṛīāṅ.
Sant Harī Siṅgh Kahārpurī died on 18 November 1973.
Gurdiāl Siṅgh Phul