HEHRĀṄ is a village in Ludhiāṇā district, on the Gurū Gobind Siṅgh Mārg, 11 km north of Rāikoṭ (30º -39'N, 75º-37'E) . Gurdwārā Pātshāhī VI ate X at Hehrāṅ commemorates the visits of Gurū Hargobind and Gurū Gobind Siṅgh. The former visited it during his tour of the Mālvā at the request of Bhāī Hamīrā, a devoted Sikh. When Gurū Gobind Siṅgh came here after the battle of Chamkaur in 1705, a Sikh dharamsālā was in existence here, with Kirpāl Dās Udāsī, a veteran of the battle of Bhaṅgāṇī, as its head priest. Kirpāl Dās was delighted at the unexpected visit of the Gurū, but when he learnt that he had been expelled from Anandpur by imperial forces who might be in pursuit of him, his enthusiasm turned into cold politeness. Afraid of the possible consequences of sheltering a rebel, he gave a hint to the Gurū not to linger on at Hehrāṅ, but hasten to a safer place. The Gurū told him to shed his fear and remain firm in his faith. The Udāsī ḍerā continued to flourish under Kirpāl Dās and his successors.
After the adoption of the Sikh Gurdwārā Act of 1925, the old ḍerā was replaced by a new building, work on which started on 15 June 1951. The new Gurdwārā building consists of a large rectangular hall built on a high plinth with a verandah all around. The prakāsh asthān, a square-shaped room open on one side, within the hall has a lotus dome above it. Largely-attended assemblies take place on the opening day of every Bikramī month. The birth anniversaries especially of Gurū Nānak, Gurū Hargobind and Gurū Gobind Siṅgh are celebrated with special fervour. Two holy relics are also preserved here -- one, a bedstead used by visiting Gurūs and a hearth used for cooking their food. The Gurdwārā owns agricultural land and some real estate.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)