IYĀLĪ KALĀṄ, village in Ludhiāṇā district, about 12 km west of the city, is sacred to Gurū Hargobind. He passed through this village on his way to Kartārpur after the battle of Mehrāj (1634). According to local tradition, a high platform was raised here by Bhāī Bidhī Chand and other Sikhs to make a dais for the Gurū. Hence the name of the shrine, Thaṛā (a platform) Sāhib. The shrine was under Udāsī priests before its management passed on to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. The present building which stands on an old mound, two metres above the street level, was constructed in 1953. It is a marble-floored square room with an octagonal domed room above it. A gold pinnacle tops the dome. The Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated in the prakāsh asthān on the ground floor. A rectangular dīvān hall was added to the sanctum in 1960. Opposite the gurdwārā, across the village street, is the tavelā (stable) where the Gurū's horse, Dilbāgh, was kept. A local committee administers the gurdwārā. Besides major Sikh anniversaries, Lohṛī festival falling on the last day of the Bikramī month of Poh is celebrated with special fervour.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)