JAI SIṄGH, DOCTOR (1856-1898), a prominent figure in the Siṅgh Sabhā renaissance, was born the son of Sant Siṅgh on 11 February 1856 at Piṇḍ Dādan Khān, in Jehlum district, now in Pakistan. While still at school, he became an avid student of Sikh literature. In 1874, he joined Medical College at Lahore, from where he passed his Licentiate examination. He was married on 25 November 1876 before he had completed his medical studies. On qualifying as a doctor, he joined government service and his first posting was in his own town, Piṇḍ Dādan Khān, as medical officer at the civil dispensary. In 1893, he resigned his government appointment and shifted to Lahore to open a chemist's shop. In Lahore, he came under the influence of the Siṅgh Sabhā and broke away from Brahmo Samāj of which he had earlier become a member. He devoted himself wholeheartedly to the cause of Sikh reform. In 1894, he had himself readmitted to the strict vows of the Khālsā, superseding the lukewarm initiation he had at the hands of Bābā Khem Siṅgh Bedī. Even earlier, when his father died, he had performed the obsequies in accordance with the Sikh rites as reestablished by the Siṅgh Sabhā. On 11 April 1893, he formed a Shuddhī Sabhā, with the object of reconverting to Sikhism apostates as well as of converting those from other traditions. In April 1896, he started a monthly magazine, Khālsā Dharam Prakāshak Shuddhī Pattar, to promote Sikh proselytization. On 14 January 1897, he formed a society called Gurmat Granth Sudhārak Committee to expunge from the Sikh texts interpolations which were contrary to the teachings of the Gurūs.
Dr Jai Siṅgh died of typhoid on 9 June 1898 at a comparatively young age of 42.