JAṆḌ SĀHIB, GURDWĀRĀ, 5 km west of Chamkaur Sāhib (30º-53'N, 76º-25'E) in Ropaṛ district of the Punjab, stands at the fringe of a vast expanse of marshy grassland. It is sacred to Gurū Gobind Singh, who after leaving Chamkaur on the night of 7-8 December 1705, took a westerly direction passing through a desolate wasteland which even now, during these days of expanding population and intensive cultivation, is no better than a treeless pasture. Here, where Gurdwārā Jaṇḍ Sāhib now stands, the Gurū stayed awhile under a jaṇḍ tree to rest his weary limbs. The day was already breaking when he got up to resume his journey. An early shepherd saw him and, out of fear, raised an alarm. The Gurū gave him a gold coin and he was pacified.
The Gurdwārā constructed during the Sikh times comprises a small low-domed room under the old jaṇḍ tree in the centre of a high-walled square compound. Some other buildings, including a flat-roofed hall and the Gurū kā Laṅgar have since been added. The Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated in the original shrine and is attended by a solitary granthī.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)