JAṆḌ SĀHIB, GURDWĀRĀ, 3 km northwest of Gumṭī Kalāṅ, a village in Baṭhinḍā district of the Punjab, marks the site where Bhāī Rūpā (1614-1709) served Gurū Hargobind with cold water out of a leather bag hung from a jaṇḍ tree (Prosopis spicigera) and received the Gurū's blessings. Tuklāṇī village, where according to Sikh chronicles Bhāī Rūpā then lived, no longer exists. The Jaṇḍ Sāhib Gurdwārā stands 8 km due west of Bhāī Rūpā, the village founded later by the Bhāī. The main shrine, an old domed building was constructed by Mahārājā Hīrā Siṅgh (1843-1911), ruler of Nābhā state. The Gurdwārā is endowed with agricultural land and is managed by a Nihaṅg priest. Special congregations take place on the 1st of Baisākh (mid-April), 1st of Hāṛ (mid-June) and on Lohṛī coming off on the last day of Poh (mid-January), which are marked as religious festivals.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)