JASSĀ SIṄGH NAUSHEHRĀ NAṄGLĪ (b. 1793), son of Kāhn Siṅgh was born to Shergil Sikh family of Naushehrā Naṅgal, a village in Amritsar district. One Chaudharī Sarvānī, a descendant of Sher, founder of the tribe, built the village of Naushehrā, also called Rāipur Sarvānī, during the reign of Emperor Shāh Jahāṅ. The emperor allowed him to hold it free of rent as a remuneration for the collection of revenue from the districts around it. The family retained the office of chaudharīat for several generations and continued collecting revenue and depositing it into the imperial treasury till at last Mirzā Siṅgh grandfather of Jassā Siṅgh, joined the Kanhaiyā Sardārs about 1752. Jassā Siṅgh's father first served the Kanhaiyās and, after their fall, Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh. When Desā Siṅgh Majīṭhīā took over governorship of the hill districts lying between the Beās and the Rāvī, both Jassā Siṅgh and his father served under him, performing military as well as civil duties. Jassā Siṅgh held charge of the Golden Temple at Amritsar for two years under Lahiṇā Siṅgh Majīṭhīā. He continued to be in the employ of the Sikh government until the advent of the British who dispensed with his services. He was allowed to retain lands worth Rs 2, 800 annually, mainly in Gurdāspur district. His son, Harnām Siṅgh, served as deputy inspector of police under the British.
Sardār Siṅgh Bhāṭīā