JASSĪ, also called Jassī Bāgvālī to distinguish it from another village of the same name, is an old village 23 km from Baṭhiṇḍā (30º-14'N, 74º-59'E). It claims an historical shrine commemorating the visit of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh who broke journey here while travelling from Muktsar through Lakkhī jungle to Talvaṇḍī Sābo in 1706. According to legend popularized by an anonymous and undated old chronicle, Sākhī Pothī, Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, on approaching Jassī, waded through the village pond on horseback. As he came out at the other bank, the black coat of the horse and the blue robes of the Gurū turned white. The pond, since developed into a 70-metre square sarovar with brick-lined embankment and steps, is called Baggsar, or the White Tank (baggā in Punjabi means white), and the shrine constructed near its southern bank is known as Gurdwārā Srī Baggsar Sāhib Pātshāhī Dasvīṅ. The Gurdwārā is affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, but is managed by Nihaṅgs of the Buḍḍhā Dal.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)