JHAṆḌĀ KALĀṄ, village 7 km south of Sardūlgaṛh (29º-42'N, 75º-14'E), in Mānsā district of the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, who, according to Bhāī Santokh Siṅgh, Srī Gur Pratāp Sūraj Granth, stayed here overnight while on his way from Talvaṇḍī Sābo to Sirsā in 1706. A shrine commemorating the visit was later established, about 200 metres southwest of the village. It was served by a line of Udāsī sādhūs until the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee took over possession under the Sikh Gurdwārās Act of 1925. The old shrine has since been demolished and a more spacious building constructed by Nihaṅgs of the Buḍḍhā Dal. The square high-ceilinged hall has a sanctum in the centre and a basement below. The sanctum is topped by a lotus dome. Special congregations take place on every no-moon day. The shrine is popularly known as Gurdwārā Jhaṇḍā Sāhib.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)