JHAṆḌĀ SIṄGH (d. 1797), of Sultānviṇḍ near Amritsar, like many other Mājhā Jaṭṭs of his time, took advantage of the breakup of the Mughal power to secure an estate for himself. Having seized certain villages in Siālkoṭ which he made over to his younger brother, he turned in 1759 eastwards to the rich country between the Sutlej and the Beās. He acquired 16 villages around Basī Kalāṅ and Siṅghvālā, tahsīl Hoshiārpur, 40 villages in Kāṭhgaṛh, and 17 in Jamīatgaṛh, now in tahsīl Gaṛhshaṅkar, yielding an annual revenue of over a lakh of rupees. He died in 1797, and was succeeded in his Hoshiārpur estate by his son, Tārā Siṅgh, who built five small forts for the protection of his patrimony. But Tārā Siṅgh had to admit the supremacy of Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh, his acknowledgement taking the usual form of supply of horsemen fixed according to the extent of his holdings.
Sardār Siṅgh Bhāṭīā