JINWĀḌĀ, pronounced Jīnvāṛā, 11 km from Bidar (17º-55'N, 77º-32'E) in Karnāṭaka is situated along the road connecting Bidar to Baraulī-Auradh, a Talluqā headquarters in Bidar district.
Gurdwārā Tap Asthān Māī Bhāgo at Jinwāḍā honours the memory of Māī Bhāgo, revered as a saint, who fought in the battle of Muktsar. From Muktsar onwards, she constantly remained in the train of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh's followers and travelled with them to the Deccan. After the Gurū's passing away at Nāndeḍ, Māī Bhāgo retired further south. She settled down at Jinwāḍā, the seat of two chieftains, Bālā Rāo and Rustam Rāo, whose release from captivity at Satārā is attributed to a miraculous intervention by Gurū Gobind Siṅgh. She lived to attain a ripe old age. Her hut was just outside the walls of the village fortress. The fortress is now nothing but a ruined enclosure of hewn stones, but Māī Bhāgo's hut is still extant. The Sikhs took it over from one Gulāb Rāo, in 1948, when they secured possession of Nānak Jhīrā. The hut is now a single flat-roofed room, with a verandah in the front. The Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated in the centre and is attended by a granthī supplied by Gurdwārā Srī Nānak Jhīrā, Bidar. Plans are afoot to raise a new building. As an inaugural measure, a 16-metre high Sikh flag, donated by Takht Sachkhaṇḍ Srī Hazūr Sāhib, Nāndeḍ, was unfurled ceremoniously on 26 November 1977.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)