KAMĀLPUR, village 22 km southwest of Samāṇā (30º-11'N, 76º-11'E) in the Punjab, commemorates both Gurū Nānak and Gurū Hargobind. Two separate shrines mark the sites visited by them. The one dedicated to Gurū Nānak is only a small Mañjī Sāhib on a mound to the north of the village. The other, Gurdwārā Pātshāhī VI, situated in a large havelī, again to the north of the village, was constructed and endowed by Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh (1798-1845) of Paṭiālā. The building, renovated in 1969, comprises a large hall including a square sanctum on the ground floor, a hall on the first floor, and a domed pavilion on the second floor above the sanctum. The dome is lined with multi-coloured glazed tiles. A 65-metre square sarovar was added in 1979-80. The Gurdwārā owns 25 acres of land. It is affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee but is at present administered by the followers of Bābā Gurmukh Siṅgh who constructed the sarovar. A largely attended assembly takes place on every amāvasyā, the last day of the dark half of the month.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)