KĀÑJHLĀ, village 18 km from Saṅgrūr (30º-14'N, 75º-50'E) in the Punjab, has a common gurdwārā, called Jhiṛā Sāhib, honouring the memory of Gurū Nānak, Gurū Hargobind and Gurū Tegh Bahādur, all of whom are believed to have visited the site successively. Gurdwārā Jhiṛā Sāhib stands where there used to be a large copse (jhiṛā, in Punjabi) about 200 metres west of the village and where the Gurūs had their camps. The foundation of the present building was laid on 18 April 1912 by Sant Atar Siṅgh whose disciple, Sant Bishan Siṅgh, completed it in 1936-37. The sanctum, within a modest sized hall, has marble floor and a canopied seat, also of marble, for the Gurū Granth Sāhib, with a large dome above. Across a brick paved compound from the hall is a row of rooms for the staff. The sarovar is at the back of the hall. A separate spacious compound contains the Gurū kā Laṅgar and rooms for pilgrims. The Gurdwārā owns 35 acres of land and is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. Special religious gatherings mark the death anniversaries of Sant Atar Siṅgh and Sant Bishan Siṅgh in February and August respectively.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)