KARHĀ SĀHIB, a village 11 km west of Pehovā (29-59'N, 76-35'E) in Kurukshetra district of Haryāṇā, was visited by four of the Sikh Gurūs. Gurū Nānak came here during his travels to the eastern parts. Chaudharī Kālū of this village became a follower and is said to have constructed a bāolī in his honour. The second of the Sikh Gurūs to visit this village was Gurū Hargobind. The local tradition places Gurū Tegh Bahādur's visit during his last journey to Delhi, but it is more likely that he passed through this village in the course of one of his earlier travels across the area. Gurū Gobind Siṅgh was here in 1702 when he visited the shrines established here in memory of the earlier Gurūs. Bhāī Udai Siṅgh, the ruler of Kaithal (d. 1843), got three gurdwārās constructed in the same compound and made land grants for their maintenance. These simple structures were replaced by more elegant buildings during the early 1970's by Sant Jīvan Siṅgh of Pehovā. The three shrines are sometimes jointly called Triveṇī Sāhib. Two identical shrines in the northern and southern parts of the walled compound are dedicated to Gurū Nānak and Gurū Tegh Bahādur, respectively. Gurdwārā Pātshāhī Chhevīṅ is in the centre to the east, thus forming the apex of the triangle. The entire compound has a marble floor. The Gurdwārās are affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, but are for the present managed by the successors of Sant Bābā Jīvan Siṅgh Sevāvāle.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)