KARHĀLĪ, a village 20 km south of Paṭiālā, has a historical shrine called Gurdwārā Karhālī Sāhib, comrnemorating the stay here of Gurū Tegh Bahādur during one of his travels through the Mālvā region. According to local tradition, Gurū Hargobind had also visited the site while on his way to Kurukshetra. The present building, a 6-metre square sanctum with a 6-metre wide verandah around it, within a high walled compound was constructed by Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh (1798-1845) of Paṭiālā. It has now a mosaic floor. Gurū kā Laṅgar and a row of residential rooms are also within the compound. The small sarovar outside the compound has been added during recent decades. The Gurdwārā owns 35 acres of land. It is managed by a local committee under the auspices of the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. Largely attended gatherings take place on the fifth of the light half of every lunar month.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)