KARNĀL (29º-42'N, 76º-59'E), a district town of Haryāṇā, situated along the historic Grand Trunk road, 123 km north of Delhi, is sacred to Gurū Nānak. Gurdwārā Mañjī Sāhib commemorates his visit to Karnāl in 1515 when he held a religious discourse with one Shaikh Tāhir (referred to as Ṭaṭihar in the Valāyatvālī Janam Sākhī, which, however, places him in Pānīpat). The Gurū pointed out that the practice of worshipping graves and tombs of holy men amounted to a breach of the injunctions of Islam. Gurū Tegh Bahādur is also believed to have visited the shrine in 1670 during his journey from Delhi to Lakhnaur. Rājā Gajpat Siṅgh of Jīnd (1738-1789) had a gurdwārā raised on the site of the Mañjī Sāhib. An assembly hall on the first floor and the laṅgar and a two-storeyed concrete pavilion were added later.
The Gurdwārā is affiliated to Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, which administers it through a local committee.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)