KAṬṬŪ, village 12 km southeast of Barnālā (30º-22'N, 75º-32'E), in Saṅgrūr district of the Punjab, claims a historical shrine, Gurdwārā Sāhib Gurū Sar Pātshāhī IX, commemorating the visit of Gurū Tegh Bahādur. The Gurdwārā, marking the site of the Gurū's camp in what used to be a thicket by the side of a pool of water, is about l km northeast of the village. Hence the name Gurū Sar, or the Gurū's Pool, although what is left of it now is but a slight depression in the adjoining fields. According to local tradition, Gurū Tegh Bahādur came here in 1665. He held a discourse with a recluse, Dhiān Dās, who lived in a thatched hut near by. The villagers also assembled to listen to the Gurū expound the teachings of Gurū Nānak. Gurū Tegh Bahādur summed up by saying what is vividly expressed in his hymns in measure Dhanāsarī : "Why dost thou run to the woods in search of Him; He, the all pervasive yet ever-detached, abides within thee..." (GG, 684). A Gurdwārā was established here in course of time. The old building, constructed in the early years of the present century, comprises rows of rooms on three sides of a brick-paved courtyard. The foundation of a more spacious building was laid on 31 March 1977. This new complex has a dīvān hall with a sanctum topped by a lotus dome. The Gurdwārā owns over 50 acres of land and is managed by a local committee under the auspices of the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. An important annual event is the martyrdom anniversary of Gurū Tegh Bahādur.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)