KOṬ KAPŪRĀ (30º-35'N, 74º-49'E), town in Farīdkoṭ district of the Punjab, was founded by Chaudharī Kapūrā (d.1708), a Brāṛ chief in the country south of the River Sutlej and an ancestor of the Farīdkoṭ family. When after evacuating Anandpur Gurū Gobind Siṅgh arrived here in December 1705 pursued by the faujdār of Sirhind, Kapūrā met him with presents and provided him with a guide to lead him to the pool of Khidrāṇā, now Muktsar, across a waterless waste. Chaudharī Kapūrā, who subsequently had himself initiated into the Khālsā fold receiving the name of Kāpūr Siṅgh, was assassinated in 1708 by 'Isā Khān, Mañjh Rājpūt chief of Koṭ 'Īse Khān in Fīrozpur district. His grandson, Jodh Siṅgh, built a fort near Koṭ Kapūrā in 1766, but fell the following year in a battle with Rājā Amar Siṅgh of Paṭiālā. Koṭ Kapūrā eventually came under the control of Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh and was restored to the Farīdkoṭ family only in 1847.
Gurdwārā Sāhib Pātshāhī Dasvīṅ, in the middle of the town, marks the site where Gurū Gobind Siṅgh had put up camp on reaching here in 1705. The present building, the cornerstone of which was laid by Rājā Harindar Siṅgh of Farīdkoṭ on 30 January 1937, comprises an octagonal sanctum in the centre of a high-ceilinged, marble-floored hall which has an octagonal interior but looks square-shaped from the outside with only its corners slightly slashed to give it four additional sides. A large semi-globular dome covers the entire sanctum and a verandah encircles the hall. The sarovar at the back is also octagonal in shape. The Gurdwārā is managed by Nihaṅgs of the Buḍḍhā Dal.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)